Saturday, October 29, 2011

100 things: curry in Tooting

I was so rapt with first the excellent beer and then the excellent curry, that I almost forgot to take any pictures at all of this night out, but it was definitely one to love. We started in The Selkirk, an excellent pub not fifteen minutes walk from my new workplace. It's not quite as cosy as I ideally like my pubs, and didn't have enough sofas, or enough tables tucked into corners, but there was a fire going which I welcomed after a day in my rather chilly office. I had a pint of Sambrook's Wandle. I chose it because it's a local beer, and it was most enjoyable. Makes me think I should do a whole entry on trying different local beers to prove that London can do local produce too. I need to find a beer expert though, because I'm not sure I have a very sophisticated palate.


I've had various suggestions about curry houses but we ended up going to the Lahore Kahari on a recommendation and it was really good - spicy, tasty and incredibly cheap for a three course meal, helped by it being Bring Your Own. There was some confusion about our order, and we didn't quite get what we'd originally asked for, but we didn't mind too much. We started with onion bhajis, fairly standard, and lamb chops, the spiciest part of our meal, thin, well cooked and packed with flavour. Then one of the specials, lamb keema kahari, which was minced and again very flavoursome, with sag aloo.


Another couple of beers with our meal, and some little Indian puddings to finish, absolutely dripping with syrup, of course, and we absolutely rolled out of the place feeling like we wouldn't be able to eat again for a week. Not bad for £25 plus the beers from the off licence. Thanks to Agnes and Leah for the suggestion, and to Anna for going with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment